Monday, August 17, 2009

I am myself and my circumstance

"And when you're fifteen, don't forget to look before you fall
I've found time can heal most anything
And you just might find who you're supposed to be
I didn't know who I was supposed to be at fifteen"

I was listening to Taylor Swift's Fifteen (yes, I gave up on this one) and right when I heard these verses I started to wonder if the girl is even right. When I was young I had my whole life planned, I knew what I wanted to do and who I wanted to be. But do I know who I am supposed to be now that I am way older than fifteen?

I guess not.

I didn't foresee that uncertainty regarding my life and my persona would get bigger the older I got. Maybe we are not as powerful as we think we are and plans and willings are not enough. As
José Ortega y Gasset, Spanish philosopher, said, "I am myself and my circumstance". Does that mean that fate plays a big part in our lives? I want to think that I have control over mine but honestly, how many doors will close for us and how many will open? How will we know if our plans meet the circumstances?

Oh life... but hey, isn't it exciting?

No comments:

Post a Comment