Green is the new black. Society knows. I know. Do you know? Whether if you like being trendy or not, it is important to take action to preserve the Earth.
The following is just some of the stuff that I do. You probably know a lot more, but I wanted to do my bit here:
1. Simply recycle. This is the basics. Keep at least three different trash containers at home: one for the organic waste, a second one for plastic and cans and another container for paper. Glass needs to go on a separate bag too. I know it changes from one country to another, but just do it, no excuses here.
2. Go organic: organic food is not only good for you, it is good for the environment and it helps the local economy. Hence, it is good for everyone. Period.
3. Do not throw used vegetable cooking oil away. Recycle it!: that 1 l. of olive oil that you throw down the kitchen sink can contaminate up to 1,000 l. of water. However, if you recycle it, it can turn into soap or biofuel.
4. Cars are not that cool. Try to walk, ride a back or even use public transportation everytime you can. Since it can be a hassle at some places like California, try at least to carpool. Or get a hybryd car. Oh and this will help your economy too.
5. Drink tap water: I heard there is a big campaign in Norway encouraging people not to drink bottled water. Think of all the plastic waste (and the money, again) that you can save.
6. Use tote bags when you go grocery shopping. So you don't use the paper/plastic bags from the market. And if you do, read #1 again.
7. Save on energy. Use a blanket to keep you warm if it is not freaking cold in the winter, turn the TV off when you are not watching it, etc. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs instead of the old incandescent ones. Did I mention money here?
8. Wait for the dishwasher and the washing machine to be completely full. It is such a waste of water otherwise. And a waste of time. And a waste of money. Clear?
9. Do not wear fur. Watch one of those videos where animals are killed for this purpose and you will know what I am talking about.
These are just some simple steps you can take but there are way more than these. Just check the Internet. And help the Earth and yourself.